carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness Redeemed only through a nice use of language.Initial assessment: Harlequin romance meets Twilight. Most irritating similarity to Twilight: they discover all sorts of ways to be physically intimate without intercourse. Annoyingest magical quality: a witch that claims she doesn't want to use her powers and has spent yeeeears attempting to ignore her powers, "slips up" and uses said powers to get a book that's out of reach on a high shelf. Yes, that's how strong her moral determination is--looking for a ladder trumps principle.Stereotypes annoy me, and A Discovery of Witches is full of romantic stereotypes. If it starts to feel like you've read it before, it's because you have. Bookish orphaned heroine meets dark, brooding man. Initially annoyed by his arrogance, she segues quickly into accommodation, and then lust. Brooding man finds his thoughts preoccupied with her quiet beauty, with something noticeably sparkly about her, and briefly runs away from their building relationship to come to terms with his past. Heroine and hero reunite, enjoy brief interlude, attend the most snort-worthy yoga class ever described in literature, then unite to defend their love against others. We are supposed to rave because it's a vampire and witch, and somehow that makes it all different. Except more than being vampire and witch, they are really doctor-geneticist and historian. I ended up skimming last half of the book just because my book OCD can't stand not knowing the end to a plot.Cross posted at http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/a-discovery-of-witches-by-deborah-harkness-or-why-paranormal-romance-is-still-romance/