carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker

End of the year indulgence

Blackbirds - Chuck Wendig Deathless - Catherynne M. Valente The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel - Helene Wecker A Madness of Angels  - Kate Griffin The Manual of Detection - Jedediah Berry The Well of Ascension  - Brandon Sanderson Alif the Unseen - G. Willow Wilson

The class I'm taking is done next week and I'm so excited to have more time to read... I plan to hang and read until I don't recognize the world around me. I've ordered seven library books, 6 of which I'm very excited about.

Carly, my urban fantasy accomplice and fellow iconoclast, has been praising the Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin. The Manual of Detection has been flying under the book world radar, but as I'm fond of detective books with a little supernatural thrown in, I'm interested. The Golem has been getting a lot of positive buzz and sounds interesting. I'm not always a fan of historical pieces, but I think New York and Jewish mysticism will be irresistible. Catherynne Valentine writes beautifully, and I'm looking forward to broadening my book-settings by visiting Russia. Chuck Wendig has been getting tremendous buzz from some reviewer friends, so it's time to check him out, and Miriam sounds like a tremendous lead female character. Alif has been another low-radar book that's a genre-buster. Sounds like fantasy, techno-thriller elements and set in the Middle East--unusual to say the least. Plus it received tons of award noms (and I'm not talking GR). And Sanderson, well, that's just because I'm a completist.

I'm especially looking forward to reading fantasy-type books that stretch the boundaries of 'fantasy' and make use of non-U.S./England settings. Anyone want to join me?