carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Blood Loss (Jeremy's Run, #2) - G.F. Gustav Unfortunately, beyond resolving the cliffhanger ending we were left with in [b:L.A. Dark|18045303|L.A. Dark (Jeremy's Run, #1)|G.F. Gustav|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1372366262s/18045303.jpg|25324085], book two failed to deliver.What went wrong?A thriller plot based on the classic "let's separate even after we've decided it's a bad idea and we explicitly agreed we wouldn't" set-up. Yawn.A scene every woman hates, and many men feel the need to include when they are the writers. (Someday I'm going to write an essay on the proportion of male versus female apocalypse/dystopia writers and the inclusion of this scene). You guessed it. Involving the woman with Aspergers was especially brutal. As I've said before, really, guys? Really? And since a male was kidnapped at the same time, why wasn't he treated similarly? Why didn't we get a detailed discussion of his injuries? Yes, horrific, yada, yada, but there always feels like something voyeuristic about men writing the scenes. Is it the worst they can imagine? Is it supposed to arouse our sense of (in)justice? Demonstrate inhumanity? I don't know and frankly, I don't care. Don't need it to demonstrate evil. Move on now.Characterization deteriorates. The army-experienced guy becomes a Gary Sue, which, while kind of fun in an action-hero kind of way, kills the initial premise of "regular people." There's a sociopathic ex. Another set of survivalist parents. It culminates an unlikely set of additions to the group, but instead of continuing with the 'normal person' premise, we get a supermodel-doctor who is a sociopath. Oh. My. Last, but not least, there's a fair amount of gun info-dumps. Clearly, the author knows a lot. Clearly, most readers won't be able to recognize the difference between an AK-47, an AR-15, and a fitted out Kimber, so it's rather wasted. Since it isn't particularly germane to the plot, in my book, it's word count filler that didn't contribute to character, atmosphere or plot.I was diverted enough by the first book that I ordered the second against my better judgement (no doubt facilitated by that cliffhanger ending), but I won't be going for thirds.