carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own - Doreen Orion I enjoyed Queen of the road, but entered into it expecting a light read. Like other reviewers, I found Doreen only moderately interesting at the start, but the saga of embarking on a year-long bus adventure kept me reading. The constant "Prada this, Richard Tyler that," failed to make a spark with the anti-label consumer, but I definitely got the message that Doreen is/was materialistic. Someone who is familiar with the "Sex and The City" lifestyle will most likely find more appreciation for her tastes and references. Her humor is moderately self-depreciating, with tinges of pride at being very good at being a "Princess," but what I found myself wondering is why such a fabulous husband is getting out of a relationship with her, with her frequent dramatic screaming and inability to cope with the outdoors, birds, buses, insects, cooking, laundry, etc., along with frequent drinking as a coping skill. I found it interesting that someone who describes herself as 'house-bound' is bent on purchasing designer handbags and shoes--to what end, I wonder? But that aspect of her acquisitive tendencies is not touched on. She did crack me up with her description of her husband's handyman alter ego as "Project Nerd," and it became a continuing laugh through the book. I appreciated her appreciation and love of her poodle and two cats. However, as Shannon (another reviewer) said, "By the end, she arcs into a character you can understand, and she's come to understand herself." By the time she tries out a nudist RV park with her husband, it's become clear that Doreen has undergone a shift in world-view. As a health professional, I feel like a number of the lessons Doreen finally said learned were always available to her, but it took traveling in a bus to open her up to more thoughtful viewpoints. The messages were brief, but worthwhile lessons in quality time, the search for meaning, and values in a hectic world.