carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

The Vampire Shrink - Lynda Hilburn I'm honestly surprised by the number of people on GR that rated this 5 stars. While I found it a decent read at the start, it quickly lost coherence, and the vampire worldview was barely drawn in a consistent way. At first I found the heroine very likeable, a retiring, sensitive psychologist who hated shopping and loved take-out food. However, as events spiral out of her control, her moods swing wildly from one extreme to the other and I feel she loses coherence and believability. She also suffers from an excess of libido, and falls in lust with a doctor, a FBI agent, a vampire, her ex, and a chiropractor within rapid sequence. Its a bit of an excess, especially when her ex sees her in the tub naked, the FBI agent sees her in the tub naked, and Devereux reads her lustful thoughts about getting naked. I enjoyed the start, and thought the scene with Kismet and her first vampire wanna-be client was well drawn, with Kismet working on establishing a connection and conceptualizing the vampire fetish as a typical unhealthy coping behavior. But her client only serves as an introduction into the vampire world, and Kismet quickly loses interest once she sees all those hunky men. Her supernatural interactions build quickly, with a minor stalking by the head vampire, Devereux, and then attack by two vampires from another faction. Oddly, these events do not particularly rouse her fear or begin a belief in vampires. Shortly after, she finds herself accompanying the FBI agent the the vampires' dance club and hideout, the Crypt, and is introduced to Devereux's magic and mysticism. Suddenly there is a fight between vampires, Kismet is knocked up and wakes up in a coffin. The investigating officer is very confrontational with Kismet, which starts to appear like she may be targeted by the police as possible perpetrator. Instead of worrying at the mysteries, however, Kismet is mostly concerned about whether or not vampires exist, despite the abundant proof in front of her, and acting out her confusion with dramatic mood swings. The quiet, sensitive psychologist we were introduced to doesn't seem familiar later in the book. And then we jump to Harlequin romance interlude, where Devereux comes to her house and romances her into bed, using romance in the loose sense of the word, since he brings flowers and chocolate and says "I am here to make love to you." Of course, then they have real sex, he leaves because its daylight, and then they have dream sex. I confess, I started skimming at this point, because I couldn't take any more of the dialogue, Kismet's lack of belief in vampires, or the general dippiness of the vampire world.