carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Grave Witch - Kalayna Price Three and a half stars. It's a light piece of urban fantasy that has the potential to become even better. Stays true to it's tone, with a heroine that does not indulge overmuch in witty banter at the expense of mood development. I thought it built suspense well, with an initial investigation that lead into more problems with every discovery. Lots of world building that isn't always explained, but doesn't leave me drowning without any familiar stepping stones. A building attraction to Death and the introduction of male lead Falin should satisfy paranormal romance fans, leading to a ex scene near the end. I have a few quibbles after re-reading, which I share with other reviewers. My biggest is the confusion as to why Alex is included in the ritual at all, even as a witness. The black spell marking her soul is genetic, and not specific to her as a person, so I'm wondering why she was directly targeted at all. The two attempts at kidnapping, and the final kidnapping that results in being a witness to the ritual confuse me. I can see making her into a slave as a side bonus. It seemed to have something to do with combining the grave world and the physical world, but why that is wasn't explained well. Also, it seems surprising that all these women were targeted were feykin, but no one was able to recognize that except Falin. Shouldn't a wyrd school have known that fey-related people had a hard time with spelling? But these are minor quibbles and don't detract much from an overall fun read.