carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Soulless - Gail Carriger Overall a fun read that I finished quickly. I enjoyed Carriger's new take on magical/ supernatural systems, namely, Alexia being "soulless," and therefore anathema to magical creatures. She was a strong, funny and determined character, and I enjoyed reading about her adventures. I wasn't expecting a romance, but would say that despite being fairly heavy on the romantic element, it was well done and kept a light, funny tone. I did get the Wodehouse overtones, where adherence to Victorian conventions and social standards creates awkward situations. I thought the pace was great, a nice balance of action and dialogue. Credit for using the obvious antagonist as an unwilling dupe, not someone of sinister intent, and extra credit for making the automaton seriously creepy.A couple of times the story switched perspective to that of Lord Maccon and then his sidekick Professor Lyall, which seemed odd when most of the story was from Alexia's viewpoint. I'm not sure that it helped develop suspense.Characters were somewhat stereotypical, but done well. Our heroine was a self-reliant yet well-mannered "spinster" who frequently colluded with her personal Jeeves to circumvent family restrictions. The half-sisters were a little too Cinderella-styled, but they didn't linger.I'm no specialist in the Victorian era, but there were a couple language anomalies that bugged even me. A character starting a phrase with "Gee..." sounded particularly suspicious. However, if one takes it lightheartedly and without a great deal of inspection, it's very enjoyable. I'll definitely be adding the next to my "to read" list, but will grab it from the library.