carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
River Marked - Patricia Briggs Really enjoyed it; it will definitely be a re-read for me. I have to say I admire Briggs for keeping the series fresh without seeming contrived or repetitive. While some readers may bemoan the lack of focus on several important side characters, this book is about Mercy and Adam developing their relationship, and a mystery that occurs while they are on their honeymoon. We do have a brief Warren sighting, a Stephan rescue, Mercy's mom plotting, Jessie wrecking her usual havoc--but usually over the phone--and Uncle Mike and Yo-Yo Girl setting up the edges of the mystery, but for the most part, the normal cast is peripheral. It also becomes a story about Mercy's family history, and her connection with Native Americans. At times the pacing felt off. I appreciate that as an author, you might want to take time and luxuriate in a relationship when your characters spent the last five books dancing around it, and I get the artistic reasoning and choice to spend so much of the book focusing on Adam and Mercy. However, although the interactions between the two were sweet, and true to character, I was thankful when the mystery and action started to develop. The pack not being able to help felt a little forced, but understandable. Meeting the Native American spiritual embodiments was very interesting, and I loved the angle with the wolf totem meeting his first werewolf. Seriously creative! I'm sure at some point, I'll be adding this to my own library.