carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Callahan's Secret (Callahan's Crosstime Saloon Series) - Spider Robinson The last in the trilogy about Callahan's. Puns are prevalent, and as a reader, they don't have any appeal for me. Some of Robinson's seem particularly tortured, so the extent where I was sounding them out out loud to try and get the joke. Since I read the trilogy in the omnibus edition, I might have also been reaching my limit on Callahan's bar."The Blacksmith's Tale," kind of a love story, unusual in the group. Poignant twist and philosophical musing. Quite emotionally wrenching. "Pyotr's Story" had an interesting urban fantasy twist. There's a wake for the guitar Lady Macbeth, and Pyotr has to ferry more drunks home than usual. Clever twist.In the edition I had, there's a short author interlude here discussing puns and a reader contest."Involuntary Man's Laughter" is partly set on Punday night--be warned. The bar gets together to solve the problems of a man with a speech problem."In the Mick of Time" a great secret of Callahan's comes out. Feels a little preachy and contrived. Closer to novella.