carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Long Hot Summoning: The Keeper's Chronicles #3 - Tanya Huff Embarrassingly, I've read it before, but didn't realize until we hit the mall. Still, a good book, Huff is great with characters, and brings them to life well, whether a teenage girl, a cat or a mummy. I like the consistency and moral code of her characters; Huff doesn't make them act inconsistently to move the plot along. I enjoyed the part about Dean and Austin's hotel adventures a great deal, and would have enjoyed learning more about the situation. Unfortunately, I'm pretty certain I never read the first two books, and I'm not sure it's meant to be completely stand-alone. I made a number of assumptions about the "Keepers," but the magic system isn't well explained, dealing partly in "probabilities." Eventually, Claire meets up with another teenage girl in the Otherlands, so some things are explained through Claire explaining to her. The story never conveys a real sense of menace, probably partly because that probability hasn't fully actualized yet. Confused? Me too. Still, it's an enjoyable light read.