carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
A Thousand Words for Stranger - Julie E. Czerneda Three and a half stars, rounding up for a positive after-taste. Reminded me somewhat of Andre Norton's Witch World, only with more technologically advanced societies. I love reading about the bird-person at the beginning, his thoughts on the mission and analyzing the trouble people had reading him due to lack of facial expression. Truly interesting, and it was sad to lose him to the main characters.The progression of Sira and Morgan's relationship from an infatuated fixation on Sira's part and reluctant compassion on Morgan's to straight up love on both their parts is fun. So is Morgan the human telepath holding his own against Sira's people. The premise of the telepathic breeding was interesting. The settings were well done, from the shopping mall planet to the rural isolation of the hideaway. Overall, while mostly predictable, it still was an enjoyable ride.