carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman Alas, I borrowed this from a friend and had to return it, so I'm relying on poor aged memory for review. I found it to be a pleasant read, perhaps unnecessarily detailed in its violence in the very beginning, but mercifully absent once those first few pages have been overcome. Each chapter is a age/time period in dear Nobody's life, and I thought they were done well, with age-appropriateness as he is growing up. His naivete is a charming trait, but perhaps a little surprising from someone who lives in a graveyard among ghosts. You'd think their insight into human life would be more jaundiced. Perhaps the largest stutter was the section in which Nobody ends up attending school and dealing with bullies. There's perhaps a lesson in drawing attention to oneself that is a little heavy-handed, but then again, that's typical of most children's stories. Still, it was an enjoyable fast read.I loved the way graveyard characters are introduced with their names then epitaph.Gaiman is talented at creating fascinating images with words, and the dance macabre was particularly well done. Mr. Gaiman, meet Mr. Burton--now go make a movie.