carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Divided Allegiance - Elizabeth Moon Amazingly better than Sheepfarmer's Daughter; all I could think of was "here is everything I was missing in the first." Mostly. Took awhile to get there, but we finally see people encouraging Paks to think about what she is seeing and doing. The plot moved along, in a clever, winding way, and side characters came in who were given more to do than just moral support. I sucked it down in one evening (granted, I had nowhere else to be, but still). Moon brought out all the emotions and connections I was missing in the first. The incident with the snow cat was highly troubling, and justly so, and one of those scenes where the reader discovers the main character isn't entirely likeable or supportable. I enjoyed the section of Paks taking on work in the village to earn her stay as well as a new horse, and thought it was built well. The sojourn to the college and her introduction there was not remarkable, but was done well. Further review will have to wait on re-read--I was engrossed enough in the story that I didn't want to stop to write down thoughts.