carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Physical Examination and Health Assessment [With CDROM] - Carolyn Jarvis Where have I been all semester? Reading this book and completing creative writing assignments for the class that assigned it, so it's only fair that I include it in my Goodreads book goal.Warning: Do not read this book if you are not a health care provider. The pictures of abnormalities will seriously distress you, and for heaven's sake, keep it away from your family and children. However, a possible exception for any hypochondriacs in your life--the pictures should reassure them that whatever oddness they have is quite normal. Except that I diagnosed myself with skin cancer, a bulging vertebral disc, as well as at least twenty other conditions while reading this, so maybe that isn't a very good idea.Seriously, I cannot stress enough the potential for harm. A co-student and good friend was doing homework when her fiance innocently glanced over to see what she was doing. Unfortunately, it was the section on "Male Genitourinary System," leading to an incredulous, "what the hell?," couch-vaulting reaction, thus leading her to laugh so hard she spilled soda on the floor, prompting the dog to start licking soda and getting sticky paw prints all over. This was assigned reading in a BSN-level class and as such, was a seriously inappropriate text. This is provider level material, focusing strictly on diagnositic provider or specialist-level assessments. It does walk providers through both a subjective and objective assessment of each body system, and a sidebar lists diagnosis--usually medical, again, not nursing--that might be signified by the finding. Unfortunately, some assessments seem quite outdated to modern practice. I understand including the information, as it is impossible to update "the basics" of medicine (trying to reform medical curriculum is a Herculean task--just ask anyone trying to mandate a communication or end-of-life class for doctors). Kidney percussion? Lung percussion? Finding the diaphragmatic excursion? Yeah, not stuff you will ever see in any town that has an x-ray machine. The sophistication of modern diagnostics makes those skills irrelevant, and quite possibly bridging on malpractice, at least in America, land of the lawyer. Palpating the spleen or for an abdominal aortic aneurysm? Probably not recommended without first running some blood or imaging tests, which this text does not cover. Then there's the vaginal exams and inguinal hernia checks--all NP level material and a clear "not in my practice" guideline. Still, the material itself is explained well. It's divided by systems (oh, how medical of them) and each chapter begins with a short biology review and follows with pictures of the step-by-step systems assessment. At the end of each chapter were a number of the aforementioned pictures depicting abnormal conditions. Internet supplements were available but completely ignored. The first three chapters stress development of a comfortable setting and communication skills, which was a nice inclusion. Two star rating for enjoyment, three and a half for content.