carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
In the Woods - Tana French I started this series out of chronological order, which only increased my appreciation for French. By some odd chance, I happened upon a new copy of her second book, The Likeness and the gold-edged memories of summer days and best friends. Ryan captures some of that lost intimacy with Cassie, and it seems almost the first time since then that he has re-connected with another person. His voice had me chuckling with humor and sighing at his cynicism (see my numerous updates while I was getting my car's oil changed). Then oh-so-slowly the voice changed, subtly, distractedly. I won't say too much more except that it was extremely well done and the character I loved at the beginning, I almost hated by the end. Not that he would have cared; he hated himself too. I love French's writing; the vivid descriptions, the integration of memories into narrative and her character development of her primary characters. Perhaps it fell apart a little at the end, and the red herrings weren't developed enough to be seriously considered. It felt a little more hurried after the slow pace of the beginning, but these are minor quibbles.The finish was stunning, if my 'stunning,' you mean a slap to the face right after someone answers your questions. Although I never deliberately avoid spoilers, for some reason I had not read any reviews before starting Woods that discussed various issues with the ending. Somewhat discombobulated, I went looking around for insight into French's process, and why she choose to do what she did. Interesting interview: http://www.dreamindemon.com/2009/01/02/interview-with-tana-french/ Yep, definitely kept me thinking after I closed the pages. But also while I read them. Highly recommended.Cross posted at http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2012/12/29/in-the-woods-by-tana-french/