carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Whispers Under Ground - Ben Aaronovitch Well, I was going to work on my paper today. But then this arrived in the mail, hardcover & signed, direct from London. How could I resist? Within pages I was chuckling aloud, but also relishing the developing feeling of danger.I can tell you now what will happen. Someday, I'm going to plan a trip to London, and like a complete book nerd, I will attempt to trace down the steps Peter Grant takes in solving these cases. Yes, the books are that good, and the only things hindering my complete understanding are a lack of fluency in Englishisms and knowledge of London geography. Besides, this is the third UF book I've read that has the London sewers as a significant location; I'd rather like to get a sense of what its about.Once again, Aaronovich blends police procedural, magic and humor with delicious results. He achieves a clever, wry tone that acknowledges foolishness, injustice, and irony, and still manages to laugh. Within pages, I was chuckling. Never fear, however, that one-liners override thoughtful characterization and an interesting mystery. There's a little less magical exploration in this one, and a little more emphasis on the mystery. Leslie starts coming out of her self-imposed exile to play co-detective. More review when I get to re-reading. Meanwhile, some nice little lines:"But that meant that in the event of a work-related call Molly would answer the phone downstairs and then inform me by silently standing in my bedroom doorways until I woke up out of sheer creepiness.""Rising out of the lights was the three-metre statue of Sherlock Holmes complete with deerstalker and hash pipe--there to oversee our detective work and ensure that it was held to the highest fictional standards.""'If you have to walk the tracks with the juice on then you stay off the sleepers. they're slippery. You slip, you fall, you put your hands out and zap.''Zap,' I said. 'That's the technical term for it, is it? What do you call someone who's been zapped?''Mr. Crispy,' said Kumar."Cross posted at http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/whispers-under-ground-by-ben-aaronovitch/