carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Emergence: The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software - Steven Johnson Every now and then I start reading and realize "this book is going to change how I think."Its a little bit scary and a lot of bit exciting.While I know--I know--I picked this up because I thought it was about disease, Emergence has proved far more interesting and satisfying than I could hope. Emergence's premise is about networks and 'organized' behavior that develops from a lower-level to a more sophisticated one. In one sense, this is a very real snapshot of the history of thinking/science captured in a book, no less pertinent for its publication date. We have been coming out of the ages of hierarchy and webs from how we explain and understand the universe, from biology to political systems. Now there is a new type of explanation. From looking at how disorganized individuals spring up into a larger, organized whole, he explains slime mold, ants selecting new colony sites, video games, and grassroots political revolutions.He is one of those rare science writers that sees across disciplines and speaks intelligibly about all of them.