carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia Three and a half stars. Turned out to be a fun, engaging read, and I'll definitely check out the next book in the series. The first person point of view is told by an unusual hero; a large, "ugly," now scarred accountant who was raised in family that emphasized guns and survival skills. As such, his language is straightforward, but not so simplistic that I was bored. Flashes of humor and modern references kept the voice fresh, making me feel like although he took situations seriously, he also saw the humorous side. A Twilight reference made me laugh but may end up dating the book. It was also nice in the way his voice engaged me into Owen's point of view; the introduction to the world of monsters, the love of guns and his growing competency in fighting monsters.The overall plot involves confronting one of the ultimate evils that abound, and while there isn't much mystery surrounding the final confrontation, there were a few twists along the way that had me surprised. Correia does a good job of making the ultimate evil frightening, especially when using Owen's psychic connection to give insight into C.O.'s megalomania. The secondary romantic plot was unsurprising in development or resolution. It was a little surprising to me to find it in such an action oriented book, but at least is remained secondary and didn't dominate Owen's thoughts or the storyline. It felt a little Hollywoodish when the team all died and was brought back by a time device. Hard to top that for the final fight. Still overall-very fast paced read that I didn't want to put down.Cross posted at http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/monster-hunter-international-by-larry-correia/