carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine - Lisa Jervis, Andi Zeisler, Margaret Cho To be honest, I haven't read this particular compilation. I've actually been a subscriber to Bitch Magazine since I first learned about it in 2003, so I assume I've read most of these articles. I recommend this--but especially the magazine--to all my feminist friends who want to engage their brains in their cultural consumption.What's in it? Cultural deconstruction. Interviews with interesting people who usually have contributed some kind of outsider voice to culture/art, ranging from young artists to ones who have been contributing in their field for decades. What kind of art? Film, fashion, music, visual, written, performance, video and all their sub-genres. (In other words, all the various ways people express themselves). Occasional rants. A profile of an activist and some of the organizations they recommend. Letters to the editor. A book, movie and music section that focuses on indies, and has led me in directions I would not have gone on my own (Little Jackie was an especially awesome find). A two page smorgasbord of cool stuff staff members want to bring to readers' attention in every issue. A full-page comic. I love the way it celebrates as much as it deconstructs. I long ago dropped my Ms. subscription because it was more depressing than uplifting. Bitch manages to overcome the tendency of outsider commentary to overwhelm when acknowledging and discussing the multitudes of challenges we face. I highly recommend it.