carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Magic Breaks
Ilona Andrews
The Golem and the Jinni: A Novel
Helene Wecker
Gil's All Fright Diner - A. Lee Martinez Fast, fun read. Solid four stars for cleverness and silliness--the book blurb was right, this was silly in the style of Hitchhiker's Guide, and that's a high compliment indeed.It starts off like a buddy movie of the anti-hero variety, with Earl the vampire and Duke the werewolf driving around drinking beer in a beat-up pickup whose cab holds exactly 76 empties. They stop at an all-night diner run by Loretta, but little does anyone know, the diner is under assault by the most fearsome of opponents--Tammy, a teenage girl who prefers to be called "Mistress Lilith" by her sole acolyte. Earl and Duke stick around to help rid Loretta of some pesky zombies, and soon find themselves drawn deeper into defending the diner (and our dimension). There were some definite laugh-out-loud bits, particularly a section involving zombie cows--really, even the phrase "zombie cows" starts me giggling. There's a sweet section that deals with Cathy the graveyard ghost and Earl. Napoleon the ghostly terrier adds a fun kick. The evil is both scary and hilarious: "The corpses shuffled (or hopped) to collect their weapons of knives, salad forks and camping stakes." Of course, the evil of Mistress Lilith is highlighted by her diabolical use of pig Latin and a Magic 8 ball--what more can you say about evil?Glad it's in my library, because I'm sure to re-read it when in the mood for some fun and fluff.Cross posted at my blog: http://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2013/05/04/gils-all-fright-diner-by-a-lee-martinez/