carols

book reviews forevermore

Goodreads refugee and wordpress blogger

― Voltaire

Elfland (Aetherial Tales)

Elfland (Aetherial Tales) - Freda Warrington Someone characterized this as more of a 'family drama,' and I'd have to agree. What made it the most interesting is that it's about elves (in colloquial), and I can't say I've read a book before that was from a high faerie perspective in urban fantasy. That in itself kept me going, along with the love story and the mystery of the Gates, and why they can't be opened. I struggled at times, especially in the beginning, when we are hopping around the timeline, from the Rosie-now to scenes from her childhood. I kept wanting it to build into something, to throw light on the closing of the Gates and to give us more insight into her particular heritage, but mostly they are just character-building pieces. Then I struggled in the middle with the Rosie being so dense about her own feelings and forcing a relationship with ordinary "the boy next door." I felt like the shift from accepting who she was to wanting to just "fit in" was believable, but a thematic cop-out. I had a hard time equating the heroine in the beginning and end with the one in the middle; it could be that I skimmed past a crucial five years in her development. The secondary romantic plotline was mildly interesting, but went from dislike to fire rather fast once Sam was out of jail. Overall, I'm just not that interested in family drama, and the angle of the family being fae didn't significantly impact the development of the plot until the last third or so. The last third started to read more like high fantasy, as Rosie and Sam go through the Gate. Overall it felt like an uneven book. Elfland was almost the opposite of the "magical realism" genre; instead of showing us the magic, it showed fae as quite ordinary and mundane.